All listed courses are available upon request to private parties
- This course has passed.
AIARE Level 2 Avalanche Course March 6-8, 2020
March 1 @ 8:00 am - March 3 @ 5:00 pm MST
AIARE level 2 Course DescriptionThe AIARE 2 is a three-day/24-hour course that provides backcountry travelers an opportunity to advance their decision making skills in more complicated situations such as being a leader within a small travel group, traveling in more complicated terrain, and/or developing a travel plan where resources are scarce. The AIARE 2 builds on the introductory avalanche hazard management model introduced in the AIARE 1 and adds to it the evaluation of critical hazard assessment factors. Students will describe and discuss weather, snowpack and avalanche processes, and identify how these processes relate to observations and travel within avalanche terrain.
Who Should Take this CourseThe AIARE 2 is a three-day course for those who have taken an AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue and have had at least a year of backcountry travel experience. The AIARE 2 provides backcountry leaders the opportunity to advance their avalanche knowledge and decision making skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Differentiate where specific avalanche hazards exist within the landscape and identify avalanche terrain where consequences may be more severe.
- Use and interpret weather, snow, and avalanche observations to locate appropriate terrain prior to entering and while in the field.
- Demonstrate leadership skills within a small team that include facilitating small group discussion, promoting appropriate terrain selection, and utilizing simple risk management strategies.
- Implement a basic forecasting framework that can be used in conjunction with and in the absences of local supporting avalanche information.
- Participants must have the ability to travel in avalanche terrain.
- An AIARE 1 Course (strongly recommended) or equivalent Level 1 training is required.
- A winter of practical experience after the Level 1 course is required before taking the AIARE 2 course.
- AIARE or AAA approved one-day Avalanche Rescue Course.
Payment can be made by PayPal or by mailing a check payable to Crested Butte Outdoors, LLC for the appropriate course. We will accept deposits equal to 50% of the full course price if you pay by check.
A full refund, minus a $120 cancellation fee, will be issued to any student canceling if more than 31 days remain before the start of the class. No refunds will be issued within 31 days of the class start date. In the unlikely event that a course is canceled, a full refund will be issued.